It’s March, which means one thing for us: pancakes. Below, we bring you a foolproof pancake method. This year, why not try them with salted caramel sauce?
Enough for 8 pancakes
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE PANCAKES
- 1 large egg or 1 egg and one yolk
- 280ml milk
- 110g plain flour (4 heaped dessertspoons)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- By hand: sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Break in the egg (and yolk, if using) and add apinch of salt and a splash of the milk. Whisk the egg, gradually incorporating the flour, to make a smooth cream. Whisk in the rest of the milk and the melted butter.
- With a blender: put all the ingredients in a blender jug with a pinch of salt. Whizz until smooth. It should be no thicker than single cream.
- Brush a hot pan with vegetable oil before adding a ladleful of batter and swilling thinly around pan, tipping the pan so the mixture spreads evenly. It will begin to cook immediately: pour any excess back into the bowl.
- When the pancake is browned on the bottom and the very edges are beginning to lift away, give the pan a shake to make sure the pancake is loose. If it is sticking anywhere, use a spatula to loosen it.
- When it moves freely, then you are ready to toss it – or, if you’re less confident, use a spatula to turn it over. The other side will only need a few seconds. Slide out of the pan, and try one of these delicious toppings.